This one day Navigation Course will introduce you to the skills of navigation and give you experience of using these new found skills in the Peak District. An initial theory session is followed by a full day out on the hills giving you plenty of opportunity to practice and gain advice and encouragement from experienced instructors. By the end of the day you will have a solid grounding in map reading techniques and some experience of using a compass.
This course is based on the first day of the 2 day Bronze NNAS course.
During the day you will look at:
- Understanding maps – Scales, Rights of Way, Contours, Grid References.
- Developing a navigation strategy – Direction, Distance, Tick Off and Cut Off.
- Measuring distances – Timing and Pacing.
- Using a compass – Map orientation, taking and walking a bearing.
- Route finding skills – Using natural features, hazard avoidance.
August 14th, 21st and 28th.
September 1st, 4th, 11th, 18th, 23rd, 29th.