This one day Navigation Course on 17th April in the Peak District is for those looking to move around the hills with skill and confidence. This course also cover’s safety and access issues in the countryside and equipment and environmental issues.
Introduction to Navigation
This one day course will equip you to be able to plan and follow routes in the countryside using paths and tracks on UK hills in summer conditions.
Course content will include:
- On completion of the course participants will be able to plan and safely follow walks in the countryside, primarily on paths and tracks, through being able to:
- Navigate using a variety of maps and scales.
- Use 4 and 6 figure grid references with worded descriptions to define the position of a map feature and to locate a feature on the ground.
- Orientate the map using handrails, obvious point features and major landforms.
- Use linear features (e.g. paths, tracks,clear boundaries) as handrails in simple navigation exercises.
- Relate prominent landforms such as large hills and valleys to corresponding contour information on the map.
- Orientate the map by aligning a compass needle against grid north and be aware that magnetic variation causes an inaccuracy.
- Use an orientated map to confirm direction of travel.
- Use clearly identifiable features to confirm position along the route and to recognise when the target has been overshot.
- Measure horizontal distance on the map and estimate distance on the ground using timing, pacing and simple visual judgement.
- Plan and implement simple routes and navigational strategies based on the above skills.
- Recognise a navigational error within a few minutes and apply simple relocation techniques using handrails and prominent features.
- Demonstrate an awareness of local and national access issues, access legislation, personal responsibility and the countryside code.
- Demonstrate appropriate knowledge of walking equipment, safety equipment and emergency procedures.
Location: Peak District
Course Numbers: Maximum 10 participants on the course.
Cost is £45.00 per person.